Saturday, May 10, 2014

77 Stone Town

In Notes at the minute.... must get this one sorted
 
Diary Entry 1992
 
 
  
The slave pits and holding areas. The whipping post. The cathedral.

 
William Wilberforce - Hull - abolition in 1830s and onward.
 
Movie imagery white tourist style of Roots and Django Unchained
 
 

 
Spice Islands to the east rather than the US, Arabs and Portuguese.... anger captured  Nina Simone Four Women song, passion and anger. Discrimination of displacement. Better than a gospel song, subservient. Still living with the results of the slave trade. Proud anger reveals it more... I'd seen Nina too late in her life at the Oxford Apollo, she was too tired and the voice had gone... we left at half time.
  
   
 
"My skin is black My arms are long My hair is wooly My back is strong
Strong enough to take the pain Inflicted again and again
What do they call me My name is Aunt Sarah My name is Aunt Sarah
 
"My skin is yellow My hair is long Between two worlds I do belong
My father was rich and white He forced my mother late one night
What do they call me My name is Safronia My name is Safronia

"My skin is tan My hair is fine My hips invite you And my mouth like wine
Whose little girl am I Anyone who has money to buy
What do they call me My name is Sweet Thing My name is Sweet Thing

"My skin is brown And my manner is tough I'll kill the first mother I see My life has been rough
I'm awfully bitter these days Because my parents were slaves
What do they call me My Name Is Peaches"


I saw Nina in Oxford once. Six months before I left for Zanzibar. I didn't understand her when I was in the audience pit at the Apollo, watching an old woman past her sell by date. I get her now. I've seen her. Heard her.




 
 


.

No comments:

Post a Comment