Wednesday, April 2, 2014

48 Bang Rak

I met one of my first clients for a few glasses of coffee yesterday. I think he was the first manufacturer to pay me for consulting work.

At the time I was renting a serviced office in CP Tower (the centre of Thailand's frozen chicken leg empire). Over the road is the spot where I took my two "most popular" photographs on flickr.

The shot of the tattoo'd guy has appeared on the covers of a book. He is the guy who toured the bars with a Polaroid Instamatic camera. Chaarn sold night time photos to the tourists in the age before everyone had their own phone camera.

 
These pictures do make me smile. I took them back in the day when I seemed to shoot everything on an artistic slant.
 
The one below is a shot of a dancer preparing for work. Pooknik's saying a quick prayer in front of the shrine, as can be seen in the top right hand corner. The workers' time cards can be seen to the bottom of the picture.
 

 
 
My two "most viewed" photos are traffic police officers wearing their cosy winter uniforms in a freezing  cold February morning in Pyongyang, DPRK.
 
 
 
 
My photo of the time, the one that I would chose is this one. The clairvoyant who sat in her deck chair outside the 7-Eleven at the junction of Thanon Silom and Soi Convent. By then the skytrain had been built and so many of the trees along Silom had been cut down. However, there was still the white splats of bird shit staining the pavement. In 1996 evenings Silom Road's birds would sit on their branches and crap on the office workers leaving for home between the 5.45 and 6.15. Bless them.
 
 
 
 
.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment